In the latest Discovery Coaching session, we focused on the importance of being able to tell your story about why you are in your current state. It's a question that can be asked in different ways, such as why did you leave your previous job, what were you doing before your current state, or why are you making a change.
Here are the main takeaways from the coaching session:
• Your current state statement is essential because it sets the stage for where the conversation is going to go. Your current state is an effect of your past, and understanding it is crucial in discovering who you are, where you are going, and what you are offering in the present and future.
• Potential employers want to understand your answer to this question because it shows your ambition, motivation, availability and whether you match their culture and work environment.
• When explaining why you left your previous job, it's important, to be honest, and clear about your reasons. Reasonable explanations include an opportunity for growth, wanting to widen your experience in a particular area, a better salary, better benefits, location-related reasons, and a change of interest to utilizing skills in a different area.
• It's essential to avoid badmouthing your previous employer and instead focus on the challenges you faced. When discussing negative experiences, it's crucial to frame them in a positive and solution-oriented way.
• It's also crucial to consider whether the reasons you left align with your work values. When the values of the company and the employee align, it results in a win-win situation for both.
• Remember that you don't have to give a referral for your recent manager if you don't want to. Instead, you can offer other references who can speak to your skills and experience.
One participant shared a personal example of how they left their previous job due to their desire to grow and expand their skills. They felt like they had learned everything they could from their previous role and wanted to find a new position where they could continue to learn and grow.
Another participant shared how they left their previous job due to a negative situation. Despite feeling nervous about sharing this information, they were able to frame the situation positively by emphasizing their desire to find a work environment where they could receive the support and training they needed to be successful.
One participant shared an example of how their own values did not align with a previous job. Their work values were teamwork and collaboration and in their previous company there was only the opportunity to be an IC (individual contributor), and they were excited to find a new company that values these qualities.
One last key point our coach made was to make sure that you talk through and work through the emotions of a negative situation before you start interviewing. It's important because negative emotions can affect your confidence and self-worth, which can be detrimental to your interview performance. If you carry negative emotions from past experiences with you to an interview, you run the risk of coming across as negative, defensive, or unenthusiastic about the job opportunity. This can create a negative first impression and decrease your chances of being hired. By taking the time to work through your emotions and come to terms with the past, you can approach the interview with a positive and solution-oriented mindset. This will help you to better showcase your strengths and experiences to the interviewer, increasing your chances of success. Remember, your goal in the interview is to present the best version of yourself, and taking the time to address negative emotions before the interview can help you achieve that goal.
In conclusion, it's essential to know yourself and your limitations and be willing to articulate them to others. Focusing on your strengths and reframing conversations about weaknesses can help you present yourself in the best light possible. Remember that you don't have to do everything yourself, and it's okay to seek help when needed.
So, what are you waiting for? Take the first step towards a more fulfilling career by signing up for Discovery today. We're excited to help you navigate your career journey and discover your true potential.
Our platform offers job search coaching, access to a supportive community, and a range of resources to help you identify & write your unique value proposition. With Peppercorn.ai Discovery, you'll have everything you need to stand out in a competitive job market and take your career to the next level.
Our community has already helped hundreds of people improve their job search & feel confident about their career paths. Many have landed top positions at companies like Meta, Adobe, & AWS as CPO, Head of Talent Acquisition, Director of Engineering, & UX Manager. We're proud of the community we've built & the success stories that have come from it. Check out some of our testimonials.
Hear from one of our Discovery Participants: "Peppercorn Discovery helped me not only identify my values but showed me how to communicate them in my resume, in my networking messages, and in my LinkedIn profile. I now have materials that represent me authentically for every situation and applying for jobs is so much easier. This program has set the tone for the rest of my career. I highly recommend going through the process.” Jaselin | Marketing Consultant